Re: to blind new agers

@Violinist, (and indeed anyone else in this topic), might I suggest you make it clear to whom your remarks are being addressed. I take it your above statements were directed at blindncool, however I am not certain and several other people hear have expressed different opinions with similar concepts.

To save any confusion and anyone getting on the offended horse perhaps clarity would be helpful.

As to your actual points, for all that I am as I said an agnostic about the question of the goodness of god (and no, telling me repeatedly about a much translated and debated historical text detailing events 2000 years ago in Judea won't help, sinse my doubting of God's goodness has nothing to do with sins), I do agree completely about the practical goodness of christians enspired by faith.

William Booth, The founder of the Salvation Army was actually born in Nottingham where my parents live, and a couple of weeks ago I toured his birthplace with my dad which has been restored as a museum, both a complete mockup of an early 19th century home (interesting to see something roughly middle class and neither completely poor nor amazingly rich), but also there was a lot about Booth's philosophy an practice, and whatever doubts I have about the benificence of a supreme being I can't deny how much practical good organizations like the sally army do in the world. Indeed, it's interesting that Booth first was interested in political and social reforms, particularly given that Nottingham had huge employment and poverty problems due to the lace industry falling off and factory owners either laying off workers or employing them at such a low wage they couldn't even afford to buy enough food, which lead to riots and a lot of unrest.

This is why William Booth famously said "How do you go about saving men's souls when their bellies are empty"