question about Earphones, earbones, iphones and satnavs

Okay, random titles ahoy, but this is a serious question.

I have had blindsquare for quite a while now and I definitely like, however I do think my experience could be better. For a start, I obviously don't want to use my earbuds when out in public, (sinse not hearing much would be pretty bad), so I've been attaching my iphone to my bag's shoulder strap under my left ear (the case comes with a very firm hook). This is okay as far as it goes but does make reaching my Iphone a bit of a pest, even just to perform the shake gesture to get blindsquare to report my current location.

So, firstly I have heard of these earphones that do not go into your ears but just behind, so the sound resonates in your skull and ear bones but you can still hear externally. What are they called? and where would I go to try some? would they be sold in the apple shop?

Secondly, while blindsquare is awsome for telling you where you are and what is around you it doesn' ;t give routes or directions. I've heard about several other tools and programs, but I'm not sure which people would recommend, and obviously if I can avoid trying four or five different ones all the better.

I've even heard theRnib in the Uk have licensed one (or got their name attached to it anyway), but that it is surprisingly useful, ---- well the Rnib can't be useless all the time can they, after all even a broken clock is right twice a day.

So, satnavs?

Any answers and discussions much appreciated, particularly sinse I fancy looking into buying the headphones (and likely the satnav), next week.