Re: Audio games in the Web Browser

Hi,

I'm a seasoned _javascript_ developer and recently I got an idea for a sound-only 3d engine for games and exploring virtual environments. Then some nice people pointed me to this forum.
Now I need to learn a few things about audio games before I decide if my idea makes sense. Anyway, it seems not so hard to:
- position sound in 3d
- define sound direction and hearing direction (rotating your head, kinda)
- add doppler effect for moving items
- handle touchscreens on any smartphone (the game would work on any modern browser)

What I don't know is what is the current state of 3d audio games in other technologies. Is stereo sound enough nowadays, or is something better being used?
If I made the engine, how many people should I expect to use it? _javascript_ doesn't seem popular here.
Also, if I made tools for editing the virtual space, should they be targeted at visually impaired, or are most developers sighted anyway?

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : naugtur via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : severestormsteve1 via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : frastlin via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : naugtur via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Trenton Goldshark via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Hektor via Audiogames-reflector