Re: Tentative Entombed 2 Design Decisions

Well  I will agree with you about glass cannon mages and muscle head fighters and all the another expectable cliches being irritating, however as you observed yourself Entombed 1 certainly did have room to surprise you on occasion.

The thing however I always loved about Entombed, and I don't think I've played another accessible rpg that does it quite so well, is that it's not just all about minimaxing to the set sterriotypes. You don't just put together the best race/class combo and most boost worthy set of equipment you can find then wail away, (this is one of the problems even with Angband sinse frankly the game becomes so prep and resistance heavy the exploration and immediate tactics really fall of the map).
In entombed you need to play with what your given, which can more frequently mean gnome brawlers, fairy healers or ogre mages. This to me is more than enough to get around the usual sterriotypes without having to mess with complex prop erty systems too often, although if Jason wants to stick in anymore unintended affects that's fine too.

Also however, note that exploration and out of combat encounters, searching for traps, unidentified items, crafting  and finding treasure will all play a part in the game, sinse your absolutely correct that if Entombed 1 had a fault, it was the concentration on combat to the exclusion of all else. this is one of the things about Entombed ii that I'm personally most excited about.