Re: Trying choiceofgames

Well I've started on fatehaven. I'm not sure how far through I am but I am just about to start chapter 8 and I'm definitely liking the game thus far, especially if (as it appears), you have so much choice at the beginning with respect to what sort of elemental mage you end up as, not to mention stuff like your chosen weapon and village.

My only miner issue is it seems pretty much I hit a point where suddenly my stats stopped changing at all  and I got various stat checks instead. This is okay, however it did mean I didn't finish the first section with some of the best stats in some areas, given that some of the choices with how they effected stats were not as I expected, so my stats aren't quite as polarized as I would've thought. It's not screwed me over too much thus far but we'll see if I make it to the end.

I do also like the renown and corruption business too, and of course it doesn't hurt that the writing qualit y is definitely at the better end of what I've seen from some of the choiceofgames, and indeed surprised me for such a usual D&D like setting, though I do wish the author wasn't so fond of just long runs of disjointed dialogue occasionally.

Still, I'm definitely liking so far, and can see why some people have been so much fans of this one. I don't know how far through I am, sinse the writeup claimed a four hour playing length, although how that pans into reading pages with vo I'm not sure. I've been playing for just over three hours thus far (one long train journey and some time this evening), so we'll see.

edit: Okay I have now finished Fatehaven, but I have to say i'm a tad confused possibly disappointed.

Beware! spoiling spoilers of doom!

I got through the game and to the hfinal confrontation, and decided for the sake of  story that I did love the dark mage silvana. I had about 14 renown and no corruption, however just after Silvana mentions an asteroid supposed to strike the planet I'm suddenly banged back to the beginning again with no idea what was wrong, ---- indeed sinse I  had no corruption I thought all the "darkness of your soul" thing was abit much.

Either the game has the lamest ending ever (particularly sinse the dragon mentioned in the beginning prologue  never showed up), or your supposed to complete some challenge that I failed at even though i didn't seem to fail at anything in particular, and if there is a way to complete the game, well I'd have rather known about it than have to go through the hole rigmarole again (good though it was).

Usually in Choiceofgames you get some sort of ending screen, and one here really! would've helped.

If anyone  can shed light on this I'd appreciate knowing.