Re: A Modern Day Comparison of JAWS and NVDA

I am in the process of building a new Windows installation on a SSD. Until I joined these forums, I didn't know anything about NVDA,.

So, while I am learning NVDA, I'll post the differences I see between the two.

Right now I have two issues with NVDA, the first anhd most important, it doesn't work with the file manager I prefer. It apparently can't see anything in the file manager's window. Hopefully this is just a matter of getting NVDA configured so that it will work with my file manager. If this can't be fixed, that's a deal breaker right there, my learning to use NVDA would be limited to just those areas where I want a feature it has that JAWS doesn't. Instant translation for example for playing those Japanese games. I'll keep using JAWS for most of my computing needs.

The other issue is more of a what I'm used to thing, put simply, I don't like the way you navigate through HTML in NVDA When I first start ed using NVDA, I could have sworn that the arrow keys skipped over things like lists instead of browsing through them. To get to the entries in the lists, I had to switch to another set of keys to get to the entries. JAWS was just the opposite, if you want to skip over something, that's when you used keys other than your normal navigation keys.

One feature in JAWS that I have yet to find in NVDA is that you can customize JAWS' behavior for each program you use, JAWS does have default settings that are used until you adjust something for a specific program. For most programs the global setting are fine, but every once in a while you find a setting you want different but only for one particular program. So far, all I've found in NVDA are global settings, but I've only started looking at it. I'd have to believe it's there somewhere. As I've found in JAWS, one set of settings isn't going to work for all the programs you might use on your com puter.

That's all for now, as I learn more about NVDA, I'll compare it to what I know of JAWS here.

I hope somebody will find it useful.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : GeneWarner via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : burak via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : GeneWarner via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : burak via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : bryant via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : GeneWarner via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : GeneWarner via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : burak via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : GeneWarner via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : GeneWarner via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : superb via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : kool_turk via Audiogames-reflector