Re: New Infinite Apocalpytic Procedural Ascii Game "The Wastes"

@Frastlin you made a console game? is it available, i'd love to give it a try. Also don't doubt yourself, I though the same about the wastes, it was a shitty little project I made that had 0 depth and three little encounters, I can't remember why I expanded it but It was only ever for coding practice, something lead me to make a subreddit for it to ask for some encounter suggestions and it blew up from there and within a week I had over 100 people on the sub and thousands of visits and downloads.

It's been a fun two weeks because for the first time I feel like a developer and not a hobbyist which after six or seven years of making little games here and there is a great feeling.

@Krishna Mercs don't work at the moment but when companions are coded into the game I will add the ability to hire mercenaries, with the addition of the companion system will also come random encounters that give companions, the chance to encounter hirable mercs on the r oad and the chance to hire slaves from slavers as well as dogs and other companions

Warsim is a game I worked on between november/december - january last year, I have pretty much abandoned it for the time being but I did get quite far and at the time I was my biggest project and the wastes has only recently exceeded it.

As it stands at least by amount of lines in the code

WarSim - 29014 lines of code
The Wastes - 29860 lines of code

WarSim is a kingdom management game with a whole heap of things to do, it is the result of my love of mount and blade / my love of randomly generated content and my hatred for the lack of control players get as king of a land, I hated that in some games as ruler of my lands I couldn't do shit. In warsim as king you can set laws, maybe you want to tax the arena or banks in the kingdom (doing so will reduce the amount of gold you can bet and will reduce bank interest but will give you money each turn) maybe you want to out law the local mercenaries (you will have to fight them) maybe you want to allow outlaws back into society and ban goblin slavery, well you're in luck because you can.

In WarSim you can, open trade routes with the five randomly generated kingdoms, or you can attack them and steal their lands, you can send your men to fight bandits/rebels or goblins, you can hire mercenary armies to do your dirty work, you can buy farms, slaver dens, fight pits and training grounds, you can pay for a huge tournament to be held in which the greatest warriors from all living territories and kingdoms will come to fight for glory, you can hire units and sell units, you can send your men to hell, bet on fist fights and arena fights, invade little castles within your lands and explore the realm, it's an ambitious game and the vast majority of the core features are done so its worth a try if you like that kind of game.

@Krishna

What is Jaws? is that your text reading software?

@aaron RIP Jukesyt

@Dark yeah I can see how skullrot would have been annoying, I do love the idea of the game throwing a spanner in the works that you can't really defend against but have to try and live with, I remember the game being too easy for one of my characters, there was no challenge and then I got skull rot and something that kept lowering my hp, I managed to quickly level up and got regrowth enough to balance out my health but my xp was being dropped so I kept having to find the best ways to up my xp while trying to stay alive, it was a great challenge.

I will also be adding more things to screw with you when you get to higher levels and skills like mirror mutants, the latest addition, mirror mutants copy all your stats, so don't miss

I'm glad you like it, and I really appreciate all the support I get from audiogames and reddit, seeing people enjoy the game is what makes me want to keep pumping out updates, you are all very motivating!

I will hopefully keep expanding the randomness of the game so the replayability gets stronger! including random plants/armor/books/ect and obviously more dynamic loot and towns!

Happy to answer any more questions!

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : firefly82 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : threeblacknoises via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : mata via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Wastelander via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : frastlin via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : krishna via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : krishna via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Wastelander via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : krishna via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : firefly82 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Wastelander via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : frastlin via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : dan_c via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : frastlin via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : frastlin via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Wastelander via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Trenton Goldshark via Audiogames-reflector