Re: New Infinite Apocalpytic Procedural Ascii Game "The Wastes"

@Wastelander, squared progression means you worke on a number times itself, and the system I was thinking was the player's current level, times itself times 100, as opposed to the current system where it doubles.

At the moment if I have this correct, intelligence bonuses aside, the progression goes:

100, 200, 400, 800, 1600, 3200, 6400, 12800, 25600, 51200, 102400, 204800, 409600, 819200, 1638400, 3276800, 6553600, 13107200,  26214400, 52428800.

On a squared system x 100, the progression would be 100, 400, 900, 1600, 2500, 3600, 4900, 5600, 8100, 10000, 14400, 16900, 19600, 22500, 25600, 28900, 32400, 36100, 40000.
(hope these numbers are correct, I had to work them out in my brain because when I tried siri's calculator siri was an idiot!).

This would mean  lower levels cost slightly more, however things levelled out quickly, and while a player would still be paying more xp to advance, they would always be able to advance. Yes, this would mean players gained more levels, but as I said on the reddit, I am always much more a fan of progression than stalling the player with such a huge xp cost that xp becomes nearly worthless, and hay, with infinite perks and a potentially infinite game, as well as more and more perks and skills to spend points on being added continually, more levels wouldn't be such a bad thing, and as I said, I do love continual advancement.

indeed, (and here I am afraid I repeat myself), in rpgs generally, I never get why effectively the increasing xp cost to level which aren't matched by the increasing xp gains from monsters mean that effectively it takes longer! to get any advances in your character at higher levels. If a level 1 character can get to level 2 by killing ten rats, why  does a level 20 character need to kill 30 dragons to get to level 21? dragons are far harder to kill than rats, so it makes sense someone would learn more by killing them, ie, grow more skilled and gain their level bonuses, not effectively gain less by devaluing their experience. I do get the idea that a level 20 character shouldn't be killing rats and advancing, but it's possible to do this without making the dragons of the level 20 player worth less in advancement terms than the rats of the level 1 player.

OkayI will take off the ranting trousers now big_smile.

Btw Wastelander, you might  consider just using the "post reply" link or typing in the quick reply edit box at the bottom of the thread, sinse quoting someone just means their message gets written twice which obviously creates more stuff to read before people can get to your reply. Unless you specifically want to address a phrase they said in their message, the quote function tends to create clutter, after all the forum doesn't work like reddit, you don't need to reply to specific people, just to the hole thread, (you can probably see now why I initially made the mistake with the reply myself).
There's nothing really wrong with quoting the entire previous message, it just means  people need to skip through more to get your  actual reply.

Sorry if this comes across as being a  forum nazi, that's not my intent at all.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : frastlin via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : frastlin via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Wastelander via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Trenton Goldshark via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : devinprater via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Wastelander via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Wastelander via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Soul Keeper via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Soul Keeper via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : sneak via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Wastelander via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : firefly82 via Audiogames-reflector