Re: Learning and playing chess

Hi Dark and others.
dark: Thanks a ton for your great post and explanations. That really helped a lot.
So does that mean if you move your white pawn to E5 and the other players black pawn is at f6, the black pawn will be taken?
I'm having issues with the rooks, castles or whatever they are called. I have tried different chess games on the computer and iPHone, and the same happens when I'm trying to move them:
example: If a rook is at B1 and a black nite is at B5 and the rute isn't blocked, the game won't move my rook to B5. I don't get why.
I have done my best to understand all the basics during the last two days, and I think I finally get it. big_smile
Regarding playing chess on the computer or on the phone, yeah, I totally see what you mean. It is quite difficult to do on the iphone, but I think I can do it by some practise. I th ink it's very individuel if you can manage to play an electronic version of chess, or if you prefer a phicicaly chess board. I know that some people who are playing online, by mail or any other kind of electronic version of chess, some of those people have a chess board where they make the same moves, just to keep track of their game phicically, because there is a lot you need to keep track of.
Since I haven't managed to play a full game of chess yet, I don't know if I will need a chess board or if the navigation on the computer versions or iPhone versions would be enough for me.
I've also contacted a blind chess organisation here in Denmark to learn more, and hopefully to meet other people and try a real game of chess to see what's like. If this is something for me, then I'll consider being a member of this organisation.
Regarding iPhone apps, I have both tried Shedder and Chess wise. Chess wise is really an totally super awesome app, wi th lots and lots of features. the only thing this app is missing is teaching newbies how to play the game. Lol. Yeah there are hints, but that doesn't help if you don't fully understand the rules. Chess wise have online gameplay using FICS which is a very known system for online chess players, which works in a lot of chess clients. It have puzzles, which I'm not sure on how to explain, but if I understand this correctly, it places the bricks for you in a puzzle, and you need to figure out the smartest moves. You can set up a chess board for reviewing, like I mentioned above which other people are using the real chess boards for. Like, if you for example are playing chess by mail and you have the real game besides you. It have other features as well which I haven't checked out yet.
Regarding programs to the computer: The chess game on Mac OSX is fully accessible and in my opinion, it gives an awesome overview of the chess board. I'm having a strange issu e where the game suddenly moves all the bricks to the standard persission without any warnings. I haven't figured out what I'm doing wrong, and I've asked an other blind guy here from my country if he would take a look at this. smile
I have taken a brief look at KChess, but personally I prefer a more up to date program. I have looked at Winboard which seems to be totally awesome because of all the features. It also supports FICS, which means you can play with the same people on the iPhone and using Winboard. big_smile Winboard can also be translated since it's opensource, which I might do, if enough people from the danish blind chess union are interested. To my biggest surprise, I haven't found any accessible chess programs in danish.
For other peoples interest, I'll update the first post with useful links to others who wanna learn chess.