question about dragon naturally speaking

hello,
Does someone have knowledge of dragon naturally speaking? I just acquired it, along with j-dictate, and am trying to make it work.  It's not letting me go through the setup. i chose my internal microphone, and i pressed start. but after the 3, 2, 1, go, i speak, then the start button appears. everyone's telling me to use a headset mic, but i hate wearing headsets like that on my head. Can anyone help me make it work with my internal mic? I'm also a laptop lugger who travels a lot, and I can't be carrying around a headset everywhere I go.