Re: Triple Triad - A tile collecting puzzle game, by Aprone

[[wow]], lots of replies during the night.  I pretty much posted the game and went directly to bed.

Thanks Stefan, I agree that strategic "thinking" games are a nice change away from the action shooters.

Smoothgunner, yes my hope is to have this multiplayer so that players can duel against one another.  That is a separate project in itself, which I am hoping to do as soon as I finish up a 3rd small game I've been working on this past week.

Yujin, currently you receive 1 of the enemy's tiles after you defeat it.  The one you get is random, but the odds are based on the rarity of the tile.  So for example, if the enemy has 1 rarity 1 tile and 1 rarity 2 tile, you have a higher chance of getting the rarity 1 tile when the game steals one.

Ah yes, that dreaded Plus rule.  That thing is not easy to explain, short of an actual ventrilo voice conversation, haha!  That reminds me, I do apologize for this game not ha ving a readme.txt file, and for having really crappy instructions.  I didn't really polish this game up at all before sending it out to be played.

Now for the Plus rule.  Keep in mind that the rules for this triple triad game were not of my own design, so I can only guess that the Plus rule was put into the game so that a well placed weaker tile can capture stronger tiles.  Lets pretend that you are about to drop a tile that will have an enemy tile above it, and one to the right.  Facing up, your attack power is 2 and the attack power of that enemy is 3, so you are too weak to capture it.  On the right your attack power is 1 and the enemy's is 4, so you are too weak to capture that either.  The Plus rule looks at both of those battles (above and to the right) and adds up the attacks of each tile.  On the top the numbers were 2 and 3, which add to 5.  On the right the numbers were 1 and 4, also adding to 5.  Because both si des added up to the same number, both of those enemy tiles are captured using the Plus rule.  If there had been 3 enemy tiles within range, then the attack numbers of all 3 sides would have needed to be equal in order to win using the Plus rule.  That's of course much harder than just making it work with 2 enemy tiles.  Also yes, in theory you could have 4 enemy tiles, you could place 1 tile in the center and manage to capture all 4 with the Plus rule.

I hope that helped a little.  If anyone else understands how the rule works, maybe they have a better way to explain it.

KeyIsFull, I'm also struggling to plan ahead.  I do believe it will get easier with practice though.

Welcome to the games Dark.  I can't know for sure which game you'll like better, between this and Paw Prints, but my money would be on Paw Prints.

Yujin, well done!  I really had no idea that anyone would beat the game while I was still as leep.  The game does end with some sort of "thanks for playing" message, but my plan was to finish coding that today.  I assumed no one would ever know that I hadn't really finished the game's ending, haha.

I'll look into having the game wait after the last tile, so that you can look around.  That's a good suggestion.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : smoothgunner via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : smoothgunner via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : stefan_ilioaica via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : smoothgunner via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : yujin9091 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : keyIsFull via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : revan via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : yujin9091 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Aprone via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : yukionozawa via Audiogames-reflector