Re: what is the most imbarrosing/ occward situation you have ever been in?

gamesmaster wrote:

I was going the stairs in my apartment, and I bumped in to a lady. "can't you see where you're going?". Then I had to explain to her that I was blind and that I didn't know she was coming

When I was about 14, my mother and I were going to a doctor's appointment in a pediatric hospital. As we were walking through an aisle, approaching an intersection, a woman speedily walked diagonally in front of me and tripped on my cane. She faceplanted into the floor. I stopped and glanced back at her. My mother says she was looking at me angrily or indignantly, or something like that. My mom said, "Well he's blind", to which she responded, "Yeah, right", in a sarcastic tone of voice, as if she didn't believe my mother... but it was my cane that she tripped over, and it was still there 5 feet away from her face.

Another time, just a couple m onths ago, I was walking to campus along a pathway that curves alongside the road, and at one point, the path crosses the road on a diagonal. This was my first time walking along this path alone, so I accidetntly crossed  on too little of an angle, going more straight across instead of diagonally. I took a couple steps onto what I thought was the continuation of the path, only to hear a woman say, "Get off my property". That took me by surprise. It was a very stereotypically redneck thing to hear. Thankfully, once I asked her where the pathway was, she realised the stick I was waving in front of me was just my cane, so she appoligised, saying her vision isn't the greatest either, so she thought the cane was some sort of device used by government workers. She then helped me find the continuation of the path, and everything was good.

@Jeffb, I never have people literally ask me "guess who?", but I do sometimes have people ask if I know who they are. Thankfully, they don't make a game out of it. If I say I'm not sure, or I don't know, they just tell me who they are, and don't seem to get offended. I also almost never have anyone grab me, thinking they know where I want to go.