Re: Quick Windows Sequencer Questions

The lag you are getting is a result of the awfully made Microsoft GS Wavetable driver, and there is nothing you can do about it. You will have to use another synth. Unfortunately that's not always easy. You can improve things by getting a free synth called Bassmidi which is pretty good and isn't quite as laggy, and it allows you to import your own sounds. It's not the easiest thing to set up and is buggy on certain systems but is generally okay once you get it working first time.
However for the best experience, you need at least an entry level midi keyboard, I'd recommend the lower spectrum of the Yamaha PSR series, which if I remember start at about $200 but could be even lower by now. Once again setting it up isn't the easiest thing in the world but it's not tricky if you know how the connections work. They have plenty to get you started and have their own built-in sounds, which you can later add on to by using VST plug-ins. Problem with VST p lug-ins is that they're also laggy unless you have Asio drivers, which depending on system setup may be impossible to get without purchasing a separate sound card which natively includes them.
So as you can see, there's no 10 second simple sollution, whatever you do, you're going to have to do some setup and it may confuse you. It confused me greatly when I first started out.
As for having "real" instruments in QWS, that is a common source of confusion. You cannot record a "real" instrument and just use it as if it were midi data. Midi and audio are two separate things. Midi is the instructions to tell the synth what notes to play, so it's like sheet music. Audio is the actual sound waves that we hear. QWS can't deal with audio, it can just handle midi data. You can convert midis to mp3 with different utilities, but honestly there are so many of them that I never bothered looking for one. Many decent midi players, especially tho se that don't use the Wavetable driver, have converters built in. I use one called XM play which uses the same engine as the Bassmidi synth I mentioned earlier. Most of the synthesizers I use are hardware anyway, so in order to make an mp3 of a track, I literally have to play the track and record the output in a sound recording program.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : The Imaginatrix via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : raygrote via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : raygrote via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : the blasting gd via Audiogames-reflector