seanadams Wrote: 
> Agreed - once it's in digital land, it's only a matter of having no
> errors (jitter doesn't count BTW; that's really an analog phenomenon).Ummm... 
> sorry, I beg to disagree.  Jitter is *very* digital.  Okay,
maybe we could argue that it's analog but the point is that it
primarily affects the digital domain. Being lazy, here's a definition I
found on the internet:

-Jitter is the deviation in or displacement of some aspect of the
pulses in a high-frequency digital signal. As the name suggests, jitter
can be thought of as shaky pulses. The deviation can be in terms of
amplitude, phase timing, or the width of the signal pulse. Another
definition is that it is "the period frequency displacement of the
signal from its ideal location." Among the causes of jitter are
electromagnetic interference (EMI) and crosstalk with other signals.
Jitter can cause a display monitor to flicker; affect the ability of
the processor in a personal computer to perform as intended; introduce
clicks or other undesired effects in audio signals, and loss of
transmitted data between network devices. The amount of allowable
jitter depends greatly on the application.-

I would be willing to accept Mike's -"good enough"- but I have trouble
with -"it's only a matter of having no errors"-.  However, I think one
key point from the definition above is, -"The amount of allowable
jitter depends greatly on the application"-.

I come from the telecoms world where jitter can be a real headache in
digital transmission networks.  It probably is less of a factor for
audiophile applications but how much less I honestly don't know. 
Still, for a real-time application where digital transmission is
involved I would assume that synchronization and clock recovery are
also important.  Please correct me if this assumption is wrong.


-- 
Aylwin
_______________________________________________
audiophiles mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.slimdevices.com/lists/listinfo/audiophiles

Reply via email to