If I may put in my $0.02:

> 3. Better filtering at the o/p, with good line driving capability,
maybe balanced as well as single ended.

I don't have an SB2 (yet) to comment on the current filter quality, but
I think that balanced outputs might open interesting new applications
for the SB even if they may, strictly speaking, be non-audiophile
markets. For example, professional users tend to recognize equipment
qualities that are congruent with what the audiophile looks for, so
addressing both may help sustain sales volumes that are more viable.



> 4. Change the display (VFD's are very noisy and require a fair bit of
work to eliminate their ills) and use something more benign.

Well, except that the VFD is one immediate hook for the vast majority
of people that would buy an Audiophile SB... Let's face it, most
people, audiophile or not (OK, mostly not), want their expensive toys
to look cool and expensive... A VFD is a key differentiator in that
respect. Slap an LCD in there and you immediately get compared to the
$150 LCD-based Roku at Radio Shack, the Turtle Beach Audiotron or
something else equally irrelevant to the audiophile market. It is an
unfair comparison, but that doesn't stop people from making it.

I don't dispute your arguments regarding VFD display noise, I'm just
saying that it is pretty much a given that they just have to be worked
around. Which leads to...

> The rest is just froth, although some is a case of form from
function.

Except that some froth is necessary to commercial success, even in
high-end gear. :-)


-- 
Carl W. Irving
_______________________________________________
audiophiles mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.slimdevices.com/lists/listinfo/audiophiles

Reply via email to