I have to agree with Sean and some of the others -- there's little to
talk about here without a blind comparison being done.  Without that,
there is too much room for error.

On 7/11/05, Timbo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> 
> seanadams Wrote:
> > please back up these claims. You are saying that based on a non-blind
> > subjective listen, our FLAC implementation is *broken*. The correctness
> > of our FLAC decoder is empirical and all you need to do is save the bits
> > at the output to test it.
> >
> > Please note that our implementation:
> >
> > 1) is based on the official FLAC sources - it is the exact same code
> > base as the one that's running on your computer.
> > 2) has been tested by us for bit-perfect output, by recording PCM
> > output back into a computer
> > 3) has also been confirmed by us and others to pass through non-PCM
> > bitstreams correctly
> > 4) has also be tested by the author of FLAC, Josh Coalson, for
> > compatibility with the included test suite
> >
> > There are a couple known bugs and feature requests but none concerning
> > accuracy, which is the entire point of using FLAC!
> >
> > http://tinyurl.com/ak3vc
> 
> Hi Sean - well first of all am I correct in thinking that by
> deselecting the FLAC -> FLAC (built-in) and leaving FLAC -> WAV (flac)
> ticked that I am getting PC server side decoding anyway? I could be
> hearing anything making a difference if that isn't the reason?
> 
> Secondly who said anything about your decoding implementation being
> *broken*, me-thinks you might be a tad overreacting here. I am really
> talking about the FLAC as compared to WAV issue - just thought the tick
> box made a difference that's all - will test again in a moment.
> 
> Rest assured no criticism was intended of the most excellent SB2 -
> after all I have raved about it elsewhere and it is undeniably far too
> good for the price point (put one in a silver hi-fi box with half a
> brick to make it heavier and I would probably have paid 4 times the
> price - and still be amazed at the sound!! :-)
> 
> Anyway, sorry if my initial long post seemed griping, not intentional I
> assure you - you're the technician and know about these things - I just
> listen to what my ears tell me and thought someone might be able to
> tell me why they seemed to be hearing what they were hearing?
> 
> OK - I am doing this as I write so this is fresh - I won't get into
> built-in v server side decoding yet as I need to make sure I am hearing
> something real...so with all conversion tick boxes as they arrived first
> I compare FLAC to WAV.
> 
> I play a FLAC track (Kate Melua - Crawling up a Hill from Call of the
> Search) and it sounds great, nicely turned out and generally fine. I
> rewind and play the first few bars again and then immediately flick on
> to the WAV version that sits below in the playlist (I know, I know but
> I tried doing this blind and just kept ending up playing the wrong
> track!). The difference is harder to describe than I seemed to hear
> last night - there's just slightly more, it's slightly more impressive.
> The best way to describe it is after listening all the way through the
> FLAC track and feeling fine, then the WAV track starts to play and it's
> as though your ears prick-up and take notice - I like it, I can't
> rationalise exactly why but to me there just seems 'more'. Ok so that
> shouldn't be if bits are just bits and data is just data - but to my
> ears and in my system FLAC doesn't do for me what WAV does.
> 
> Right - now let's flick the switch on those conversions (leaving only
> FLAC -> WAV flac ticked in the FLAC options) and see what happens
> now...
> 
> OK this is more difficult, immediately I thought the FLAC track was the
> WAV track, then I checked and it wasn't, then I rewound and listened to
> the first few bars again and flicked to the WAV track. Now I find it
> more difficult to tell the two apart. So I sit back and listen without
> trying to judge...and my foot is tapping to both tracks, maybe a slight
> edge to the WAV track but this is so slight now as to be easily
> dismissed as placebo...sorry.
> 
> OK that's me done...will leave it to the rest of you guys to sort out
> why I am hearing what I think I am hearing - except to say maybe the
> SB2 decoding means the circuit is working harder and so the audio is a
> little less relaxed - I know it's just digits..but..?
> 
> All I need to do now is find out how to tag WAV's from EAC so I can see
> them on my SB2? Sorry to cause a stir :-)
> 
> 
> --
> Timbo
> _______________________________________________
> audiophiles mailing list
> [email protected]
> http://lists.slimdevices.com/lists/listinfo/audiophiles
>
_______________________________________________
audiophiles mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.slimdevices.com/lists/listinfo/audiophiles

Reply via email to