As of your last post, I don't recall a true blind test having been
conducted.  Have you had the chance to do that yet?

On 7/19/05, Timbo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> 
> m1abrams Wrote:
> > Why?  FLAC produces bit for bit identical to the WAV file, you can test
> > this by ripping a CD to PCM wav, then taking that wav encoding it to
> > flac but save the original wave.  Now decode the flac back to wav and
> > perform an md5sum of the two wave files, unless your encoder/decoder is
> > broken they will be identical.  This is the procedure that is even on
> > the FLAC website on how to verfiy the encoder/decoder.
> >
> > With FLAC you get the quality EXACLY the same as WAV plus you get
> > about 2x the storage and 1/2 the needed bandwidth, and you get TAG
> > support.
> 
> Hi there - I hear what you say and agree that if space is an issue (or
> bandwidth if you are wireless) then FLAC certainly adds up to a good
> idea - but - in my case, in my system, with my ears, I don't *hear*
> EXACTLY the same quality (and I am not alone) - when it comes to audio
> quality a few extra quid spent on more HD space (under £70 for a 250gb
> HD!) is not an issue here.
> 
> What goes in may be what comes out when you compare 'bits' - but I have
> played with this some more over the last few days (I don't take lightly
> the format I will choose to archive some hundreds of CDs) and on a well
> recorded CD track I can spot a FLAC decode instantly on the first few
> bars. This means for me it's a no-brainer.
> 
> Just let me say obviously if your system isn't able to deliver the
> subtle nuances involved you will of course not hear any difference -
> and the system is only as good as it's weakest link - which might be
> our ears of course (I know mine aren't what they were after 35 years of
> interest in the hobby!).
> 
> I am not sure what is going on here, but perhaps the analogue audio
> circuits in my pre-amp may be ultra sensitive to digital noise
> generated by the SB2 doing it's internal decoding of FLAC sat just
> above it (it would be interesting to measure this against the same
> noise generated by internal WAV decoding?). I know that Meridian all
> digital systems support the digital domain right up until the last
> moment, only converting to the delicate analogue domain (with all it's
> susceptibilities to outside interference) at the very last minute. I
> prefer the analogue sound however, so my Meridian system contains
> mostly analogue components.
> 
> Who knows the exact reason why I can hear the difference between WAV
> and FLAC, I certainly don't, but it doesn't worry me or cause me
> anxiety. I am not one of those technical guys who can't envisage
> anything effecting sound other than that which can be measured - we are
> talking Hi-Fi here remember. Technical measurements are what design the
> goods and get us to the gate - but to go through the gate every hi-fi
> manufacturer understands you have to listen and then fine tune the
> product with your ears.
> 
> If technical measurements were all that mattered in hi-fi then we
> wouldn't bother upgrading cables with exotic mixes (and even stranger -
> exotic cable insulating materials!). We wouldn't be discussing whether a
> CD sounds better if you don't pause it during replay (ok that's really
> weird but just ask Jimmy Hughes!), there wouldn't be such things as
> turntables with cartridge and arm combinations costing more than my car
> - and there wouldn't be those who still prefer glowing valves and a nice
> set of horn speakers! And I wouldn't be able to hear a better sounding
> system after running the Denson De Magic CD - but I can :-)
> 
> But please let's not forget we are talking about a £150 box with an
> Ethernet adapter sat on top of my hi-fi, streaming digital  data from
> my PC - and it wasn't long ago I would turn off my PC to listen to my
> hi-fi as the digital noise down the mains had a negative effect on the
> sound (this is common practice and if you have one of Russ Andrews
> mains sniffers you will actually 'hear' the noise yourself).
> 
> No - this Squeezebox (V2) is unbelievably good and in every respects
> approaching audiophile quality (and not by accident either if I read
> the specs right!)  so a little debate about file encoding preferences
> is to be expected in the audiophile forum. Oops, and I have just
> noticed how long this 'little debate' post is - please forgive my rants
> and I hope at least someone might find my remarks of interest :-)
> 
> 
> --
> Timbo
> _______________________________________________
> audiophiles mailing list
> [email protected]
> http://lists.slimdevices.com/lists/listinfo/audiophiles
>
_______________________________________________
audiophiles mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.slimdevices.com/lists/listinfo/audiophiles

Reply via email to