Andrew,

I use identical cheapy din-rca leads and a reasonable diy bnc-rca coax.
I tried the dac1 at a mate's house where we compared the xlr and rca
outputs into a Belcanto/B&W system. XLR was marginally better.

I always thought that colouration meant that the sound gets changed in
a certain way. Perhaps like an overpowering timbre. I never thought it
would make all sources sound the same.

I also own an LP12 and CDX. The difference between the CDX and the Dac1
is slightly bigger than the diff between the SB3 and the DAC1 but it is
also pretty subtle.

There are some ELAs in the junk room. I might have to pull them out for
some stereo games. Failing that I'll get my ears dewaxed. ;-)

cheers
Gus

Re the active thing, I have a naxo and an exposure crossover sitting in
the cupboard waiting for more power amps. Thinking of a eVo6 or perhaps
the 41Hz tripath amps...

--
gusi