cliveb;150154 Wrote:
> Just a slight correction: 8 bits is actually about 48dB. 1 bit is very
> nearly 6dB (6.0206, to four places).
>

> Well actually decibels are defined according to the ratio of the power
> or amplitude in the signals. Twice the power is about 3dB, twice the
> amplitude is about 6dB. (This is why 1 bit corresponds to 6dB: when
> converted to analogue, each bit doubles the output voltage
> (amplitude)).

That makes sense, because when you double the amplitude, you quadruple
the power. Good old Ohm's law.

cliveb;150154 Wrote:

> I'm not sure about the psychoacoustics of perceived volume w.r.t.
> decibel change, but I seem to recall that twice as loud corresponds to
> about a 6dB increase - ie. it tracks the amplitude rather than power
> scale. Whatever, a 10dB increase is certainly going to sound more than
> twice as loud.
>
> Indeed it is. And -48dB is very, very quiet.

Thanks for the enlightening post. If I remember correctly, the minimum
smallest increase in sound level that people can hear is 3db. Any
comments on that ?

Tom

--
tomsi42

SB3, Rotel RC-1070/RB-1070, dynaBel Exact, Kimber Kable 4TC and Timbre.