Phoenix;425777 Wrote:
> As an audiophile, I was sold on EAC because it could create a bit for
> bit perfect copy of what was embedded on a CD.  Likewise, I've been told
> that FLAC is a benign compression scheme because when decoded it yields
> a perfect bit for bit copy of the original. But what about Slimserver?
> In playing these digital files does it deliver a perfect bit for bit
> copy of the digital file or does it alter the bits before delivering the
> file to the DAC?  I recently read a article in Positive Feedback online
> which raised concerns that not all digital playback software is created
> equal, and that certain programs such as Foobar alter the bits as the
> digital file is played through them, thereby degrading its sound.
> Specifially, Issue 41 online asked this question of a number of digital
> hardware and software designers, and I will quote the answer of Vincent
> Sanders of VRS Audio Solutions:

Yes, it is, assuming you don't turn on things that would interfere with
that (ie, crossfading, replay gain and even volume: all by nature
interfere with the digital bitstream).

Assuming that (which is why there is an option to lock the digital
volume to 100%), then, yes, the digital outputs will match the encoded
bitstream.  This is true to the point that if you pass it a file with
DTS encoding to a DTS-capable decoder, it will light the light to say it
is DTS and decode it properly.

That is plain not possible if the bits changed.

--
snarlydwarf