The demise of CD players isn't related to the demise of CD's though.

I retired my CD player when I bought my first DVD player... "hey, it
plays CD's too, why do I need two things in my cabinet when one will do?
One less remote, too!"

The CD sales problem is that most music today has at most 2 "hot" (not
good necessarily, just selling well) tracks on an album, so picking and
choosing them from iTMS or Amazon or wherever is more cost effective:
why spend $10 to $20 on a CD when $2 will get the songs that suck less?

Of course RIAA hasn't figured this out... if you make an album worth
buying the whole album then there would be less picking and choosing the
singles off it.  CD sales may still suck but -album- sales via physical
and download would go up.

--
snarlydwarf