cliveb wrote:
> As iPhone said, you're listening on a train. I guess it all depends on
> how noisy the trains are in your neck of the woods, but if they're
> anything like the trains I use then worrying about the fidelity of the
> files is the least of your problems.
>
> Even using ear canal phones (I use Shure e2c), the background noise is
> sufficiently high on a train that in order to hear the quiet parts you
> need to turn the volume up so high that the loud parts are far too loud.
> (I have the same issue with listening in the car). The solution to this
> problem is to use a device with a playback AGC

Alternative solution is to apply audio compression to the files before
you load them onto the portable player.

I've had CD players with audio compression for nearly two decades.

You can't hear the dymanic range of a CD, so you might as well call up a
compressor and reduce the range. Then you can hear the soft parts
without the loud ones damaging your ears.

--
Pat Farrell
http://www.pfarrell.com/