Themis wrote:
> To add to that, the industry was against CD for the same reason :
> copying. At the time they were claiming cassettes were destroying their
> sales and that CD would give the final blow.

Er, no. For the first decade or so, the CD was loved by the Music
Industry because it was ReadOnly. There was no way to have consumers
copy music. They loved it.

The CD was designed specifically to be better than cassettes. In the
late 70s and early 80s, everyone had a cassette player in their car, and
made copies from LPs. Or even shared them. The horrors.

I'm a hardcore geek, and I saw me first CD burner in 1996.

A major reason that the labels pushed to DVD-A and SACD was that they
had built in DRM.

There was not much time between the popularity of DVDs and the cheap
consumer DVD burner. But by then, most importantly, selling physical
media with music was going the way of the dodo.

--
Pat Farrell
http://www.pfarrell.com/