On 02/27/2011 12:45 PM, Phil Leigh wrote:
> To a degree, yes... but 80% of my collection comprises amplified
> instruments and close mic'd vocals recorded in studios

that describes well all of the pop, rock, hiphop, county, etc. in the
world. And at least 80 percent of my collection as well. But as
audiophiles, I think we should aspire to a higher level.

If you consider just electric guitars and synths, the guitars are not
the instrument, its the guitar plus its amp (and any effects petals).
You don't care about the sound of the guitar. With synths, there is no
real sound there, all you can get are the non-real signals that the
synth makes thought its amplifiers.

Guitar amps are supposed to distort. Its part of the definition of an
electrical guitar.

How one tells the distortion caused by the playback chain and the
distortion caused by the guitar/amp or synth is left as an exercise to
the student.

--
Pat Farrell
http://www.pfarrell.com/