As a European music lover, I mostly object to the so-called
"convenience" of iTunes or any other service: it's almost impossible for
me to get good music legally + lossless. Quite a lot of the stuff on
hdtracks for instance is interesting to me, but strictly speaking I'm
forbidden to buy it, as I'm not a US citizen. The offerings of Linn etc
are somewhat too esoteric for my tastes, and there's only so much
classical music I can take.
This means that the music industry is forcing me to keep buying physical
media, which I then have to rip, tag, scan for ReplayGain, scan for
MusicIP ... I still do this, but a whole lot less than I'd like to,
because:
-I only have so much storage space for physical media
-It's not convenient
-I can't buy from the comfort of my couch at night when the kids are
asleep ...

This issue isn't caused by the "industry" alone, the artists as well
play a role in it. Bands all over the world tweet about the release of
their new albums, and about when they'll be available in iTunes, but
when you directly ask them about buying in FLAC, there's nothing but
radio silence. Metallica is (partly) an exception to this: almost any
show of the last 10 years or so is available for sale as a soundboard
recording, in both FLAC & MP3, right on their tour site, a couple of
days after the performance. No studio material however. I've bought a
lot of those already, most recently the recording of the show I went to
in Belgium on May 28th and the 4 shows for their 30th birthday.
I think we (the public in general, Squeezebox users in particular)
should all begin pestering any musician we can get access too to begin
making lossless files available. The success of iTunes proves that
people still want to pay, but what if nobody sells what you want to buy?