It's Transporter time!

In order to do the measurements, I brought the gear downstairs to the
basement which is an electrically quieter environment. There's a Belkin
PureAV PF60 power center there for all the equipment. Also, the
measuring computer is now an AMD Phenom X4 laptop with Win 8 usually
used by my kids :-). The laptop was running on battery - I could detect
a 0.5dB difference with the AC adaptor plugged down at the -110dB noise
level.

One note about the XLR measurements you'll notice - the THD levels are a
bit higher than RCA. I believe this is a result of the fact that the
E-Mu 0404USB could not handle the XLR voltage from the Transporter and I
had to use the analogue attenuators (just barely!) avoid clipping.

Lets start with the 44kHz signal:
14421

Undoubtedly, the XLR output is significantly better than RCA. One
observation is that through the RCA's, the stereo crosstalk remained
around -90dB whether the signal was 16 or 24-bits. I'm not sure if this
is the limit of the Transporter itself (even the humble AUNE X1 could do
a measured -95dB), or has to do with the cables I used - a pair of
AudioQuest 6' interconnects. I don't remember which model of AudioQuests
these were (bought a few years ago in a moment of weakness :-) but they
are longer than the 3' I had been using to measure upstairs.

Now for 24/96:
14423

Again, we see the -90dB stereo crosstalk limit with the RCA output.
XLR's measure is fantastic! Likely hitting the performance limits of the
E-MU 0404USB and ~3dB better than the Essence One (of course the E1 did
not have the benefits of a power filter or low noise environment of the
laptop running on battery).

The WiFi router was in the same room as the Transporter hence the 90+%
wireless strength. No difference in the measurements whether WiFi or
ethernet.

To show in graph form the difference in noise floor between the RCA and
XLR:
14422
Notice the noise spikes like at 60Hz using the RCA cable (the AQ
construction seems to be shielded but can't confirm unless I cut it
open!).

Conclusion:
1. Overall the Transporter measures very well!  Phenomenal XLR
performance - best I have been able to measure so far.
2. A bit unclear about that stereo crosstalk measurement with RCA
however. Seems a bit higher than I'd have expected. Might need to try a
different cable and see... (In case anyone wondering, I have not opened
up the Transporter to change the unbalanced volume attenuation.)

|Filename: 96_Results.png                                           |
|Download: http://forums.slimdevices.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=14423|