darrenyeats wrote:
> Chaps,
> Think about it, even the DAC2 does not accommodate -arbitrarily large-
> peaks. The HA thread indicates some are up to 11db and a BM guy pops up
> saying you can get more than 3.5db headroom by not maxing the volume.
>
> That right there tells us not to assume anything.
>
> I wonder whether what is trivial off-line is less easy (or requires a
> sacrifice in SNR, which the marketing department would hate) in real
> time? Not sure.
> Darren
>
> Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2

Maybe it's best then just to NOT do any upsampling if this is the case -
jitter be damned! Will have to look into this further this weekend...
The "Raw Power" CD with DR1 might be an interesting case in extreme
clipping if one were to upsample and see where these peaks lie.

I remain a bit disturbed that the DAC1 would perform upsampling without
*some* amplitude headroom...  I really want to see evidence of this like
the Ken Rockwell square wave spectrum plot between max volume and maybe
-6 dB to look for harmonic changes. I might have a peek at this with my
Essence One with & without upsampling enabled to see if ASUS did it
right.