Archimago wrote:
> I was originally going to respond to the 24/192 discussion with this but
> thought it more apt to start a new topic instead of tangential hijacking
> :-)
>
> I wonder if we've had a good / serious discussion here around the
> question of what as "audiophiles" we're trying to accomplish with our
> gear. No need for ridicule, but just a frank discussion of our thoughts
> around why (some of us) spend so much time on this "obsession" :-)

I'm going to offer a belated reply for sure, but the topic interests me,
for some reason. Assuming that by 'our gear' you are open to including
the music carriers (i.e. LPs, CDs, FLACs, etc.), I'd say that my
philosophy boils down to chasing after the best version of music
recordings I enjoy.

This obsession started early on, when I was into collecting LPs. I've
noticed that if you buy two identical copies of some LP, they don't
always necessarily sound the same. This prodded me towards hunting for
the best possible printing of the LPs I love.

Moving into digital world, I was under the impression that we have left
inconsistencies behind. But, much to my surprise, I found out that even
digital music differs in quality depending on which 'print' of the same
material we're talking about. For example, Japanese SHCD versions of
many familiar CDs sound way superior, to my ears. Hence I'm always on
the lookout to score me some of that sweet Japanese goodness (and my
goodness, can these babies get expensive!)

Finally, even with digital downloads (hi rez or otherwise) you can
detect different 'pressing' quality.

And so on, basically I'm much more into the sound/music carrier quality
than I'm into the actual hi fi music reproduction chain quality. I've
found out that a well pressed album, be it analog or digital, sounds
great on wide variety of hi fi systems (even if they be entry level
systems). While an album from a lousy batch sounds horrible even on the
most sublime hi fi systems.

Sent from some place.