Another sad fact can be that audiophile equipment can be badly designed
so that factors that should not matter actually do  ? :)

Power amps that's gets unstable without special speaker cables etc .

Or circuit design with very bad or none power supply rejection ratio
,which demands uber designed power supplies to perform decently at all .

To high output impedance so that speaker impedance influence frequency
response and impulse response of the total ssystem...
( just fill in more of these ) .

I have no plethora of examples of junk design in digital interfaces ,
but did not some garage company actually designed a tube driven digital
output and as per the usual MO claiming that it's "sounds better" due to
the tubes but without any proper explanation or testing ;)

Btw the to much gain thing can happen to good brands to , it's not
unusual that brand x pre and power put together has to much gain , this
limits performance .

Btw I don't think you have to pay even 20$ for a proper USB 2 certified
cable in a computer store , I'll also bet that the freebie cable you got
10 years ago also works properly for such an undemanding task as audio .
But you migth find the fringe case with the very cable hence unlikely .

I do like the unlikely term better as there could be many factors at
work . But keep track of what's probable .
If you actually by measurement or well conducted ABX test do find
differences in USB cables , do not jump up and down in joy off finding
the perfect USB a cable ,rather worry about what's wrong with your
system . Or what went wrong in the test .

sub.
Bedroom/Office: Boom
Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
Misc use: Radio (with battery)