pablolie wrote:
> we talk about money, and yet how successfully are encoding algorithms
> when it comes to monetization? even the MP3 inventors gave up on it.
>
> i would get the software business motivation, hey, audiophile software,
> subscription fees... sure. my posts in these very forums are still out
> there when i said that Slimdevices or Logitech ought to have charged for
> an LMS subscription license, the value was always more in the server
> even though the streaming boxes were always great. but how Meridian
> hopes to establish such a model with MQA is beyond me. no self
> respecting competitor is going to adopt their stuff for obvious reasons.
> unless they use it as a nice (yet meaningless) wrapper for products that
> look and are priced a lot like Squeezeboxes, and the server streams in
> MQA to the boxes, oh great, and the server software is sold as it should
> - pay for updates.
>
> but with MQA i don't see the mega business opportunity out there. the
> differentiation is questionable. the partner landscape limited. and
> audiophiles don't care of it's MQA or DSD or two squirrels doing it in a
> box as long as it sounds great and looks premium.

It's hard but possible Dolby and DTS manage to do it . I think the key
is hardware devices you get a logo on the machine somewhere , not that I
think the mfg behind a Chinese 50$ DVD player actually paid royalty for
their Dalby logo :) but it usually works .
Meridian had some sucess with MLP , and the rebranded improved variant
do sell on blueray discs .
But this is streaming so I share your concerns .
But I do think the intent is again to sell chip or licenses for hardware
devices .

sub.
Bedroom/Office: Boom
Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4