paulster wrote:
> One thing I'll add is that if you DAC can handle DSD then you might be
> able to consider encoding your DSD music into DoP FLAC format, so it is
> still native DSD but inside a PCM wrapper.
>
> Only thing I'm not sure of is whether 24/96 is a sufficiently-sized
> container for it.  If it is then you wouldn't have to have any
> conversion of your native DSD material, and the Transporter will merrily
> think it's playing PCM.

No 24/96 is not enough for DoP .

I concur with the idea to use flac as much as possible for the
transporter I suggest not to use the highest compression rates for 24/96
something like -5 would do , Transporter can on rare occasions hiccup on
hard compressed flac files .

Do you already have such files ? Easy to fix flac them again with a
lower setting from the files you have . That's the Beaty of lossless .

On server decoding helps with some rare MP3 ( well documented ) . Aiff
possibly needed for higher rates it is soo on Touch it does not play
24/96 aiff . Alac TP does not play it Touch does but not hirez so server
transcoding needed .

Flac and WAV works all the way to 24/96 unproblematic to use . However
the default setting in LMS is to server transcode wav to flac the
purpose is to save wifi bandwith it is a really good idea to keep it
that way .

Flac files have much better tag support so there it is again .

There simply is no need to transcode flac to pcm on the server .

The file types setting are not really " quality settings " they are
there to handle odd cases where the default rules don't work such as NAS
boxes and software players or very odd radio channels . With a "normal"
server and a Transporter you can just leave them at the factory settings
, you can often create you own problems by changing them to much.

I know that there is a shool of thought that server transcoding "sounds
better" but in fact the squeezeboxes outputs the exact same thing
electrically with every lossles format so whats on the outputs does not
change . if you " hear a difference " anyway when there is none.
I may suggest a properly conducted ABX test that should settle that and
make life and fiddling with LMS easier :)
And delete all reaplay gain tags in the flac files when doing ABX .

I think a large amount of FUD around FLAC vs WAV comes from the fact
that FLAC can use replay gain tags ,these tells the player hardware to
play the files with a differen and in 99% of the case lower volume !
that sound really different !

All gain functions can be turned off in the player settings , there are
many formats that use volume normalisation I prefer not to .
Also to guarantee bit perfect output to the DAC gain settings should be
off its not enough to have the volume at 100%

Another venue for experimentation is to actually not use 100% volume
with the external ( or internal ) DAC on some recordings . Not all DAC's
handle intersample peaks well , this can be an issue with modern over
compressed loudness war recordings .
Intersample peak,or intersample,over ismthe term to Google .

sub.
Bedroom/Office: Boom
Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
Misc use: Radio (with battery)
iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
(spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )