The internet has made the collecting of bootleg recordings much easier
than ever and over the years I have up many very good recordings with
many of these recordings often rivaling in sound quality officially
released live recordings. For the most part I tend to stick with what
are called "soundboard" and "FM" recordings, which are basically made
from the direct microphone and instrument feeds going to the soundboard
and mixed on the fly. The other two main types of bootlegs are audience
recordings, which are made by audience members, either illegally or with
the full permission of the artists and matrix recordings, which are mix
of a soundboard recording with an audience recording.

What I've noticed is that for the most part soundboard and FM recordings
usually sound better than even the best audience recordings (and there
are many excellent sounding audience recordings available). So my
question is this: when one is at a concert the sound is often quite good
- well balanced and crystal clear with nice high end and good but not
over powering bass, however many audience recordings, even those made
using top quality microphones and equipment located in a prime spot and
with the permission of the artists often sound unbalanced, muffled and
bass heavy. Why is this the case and what is happening to make the sound
captured by the microphone so different from the sound captured by one's
ears?

Hopefully this thread will not lead into a flame war :)

Living Rm: Transporter-SimAudio pre/power amps-Vandersteen 3A Sign. &
sub
Home Theater: Touch-Marantz HTR-Energy Veritas 2.1 & Linn sub
Computer Rm: Touch-Headroom Desktop w/DAC-Aragon amp-Energy Veritas 2.1
& Energy sub
Bedroom: Touch-HR Desktop w/DAC-Audio Refinement amp-Energy Veritas 2.0
Guest Rm: Duet-Sony soundbar
Garage: SB3-JVC compact system
Controls: iPeng; SB Controller; Moose & Muso
Server: SBS on dedicated windows 7 computer w/2 Drobos