Mnyb wrote:
> So the typical oversampling DAC with a filter thats not your ca 1986
> brickwall filter does it roughly rigth ?
>
> I not versed in the exact technical details . I'm certain that there is
> some kind of group of good compromises that gets its done like the SoX
> settings you use . Actual chip implementations has and still probably
> have their own set of problems . Hence the idea now that CPU power cost
> nought to do this stuff with proper floating point math in software .
Surely old designs were already good enough with this but marketing has
to create problems to solve.
You see that even me suddenly wurries about things that most likely not
matter :)
We can phantasy around even more. Lets assume we use a filter that
filters softly at 20kHz for downsampling and i play it at my
Transporter. From a measurement at stereoplay i see it filters 44.1kHz
material steep around 20.8kHz. Since my SoX resampling setting kicks in
at ~20.28kHz the ringing of the 20.8kHz Transporter filter should not
matter because there is no loud content left to trigger but we get very
theoretical here.

Transporter (modded) -> RG142 -> Avantgarde Acoustic based 500VA
monoblocks -> Sommer SPK240 -> self-made speakers