Mike Sargent wrote:
> Right now I'm listening to Joss Stone (sounds great) and my SPL meter
> says I'm only listening at around 75 dB. So that 96 dB (or 110 or
> whatever) dynamic range of CD (ripped to FLAC in this case) is
> unimportant because I'm never going to listen to it loud enough that it
> would matter.
> Mike
I think this is the most important reply in this whole discussion: Who
among us, in a typical living room environment plays loud enough to have
the full dynamic range of said symphonic orchestra audible? In Belgium
music performances (live and recorded) are legally limited to
100dB(A)LAeq,60min, which means that even when the crowd is really
silent, on average only around 60dB remain for the music ...
QED: 16/44 is enough to faithfully reproduce a legal music performance
in Belgium :)

Main System: Touch; Marantz SR-5004; TMA Premium 905; TMA Premium 901;
BK Monolith+ FF; HDI Dune Smart D1; Pioneer PDP-LX5090H
iPad 32GB Wifi + Squeezepad (local playback activated)
Acer Iconia Tab A700 + Squeezeplayer
Wandboard Duallite + CSOS, integrated LMS activated