24290

In order to evaluate this I downloaded what one might expect to be one
of the most reliable "Hi Rez" web sites: HDTRACKS.COM.  I donwloaded
what should be one of their most exceptional collections: their
headlining sampler. This is he music that convinces audiophiles to buy
their products!

Remember this is the web site that posts proudly on their home page:

"HDtracks is the only music store founded, funded, and operated by
musicians, artists, and audiophiles. Started in 2008 by Norman and David
Chesky, pioneers of revolutionary recording techniques and founders of
the groundbreaking audiophile label Chesky Records, HDtracks takes their
obssession with quality to the most important part of any recording:
you, the listener. With industry-leading and painstaking quality
controls, everything sold on HDtracks is of the highest possible
quality, and available in a diverse range of formats so technology
doesn't interfere with the listening experience."

"We're looking to ensure all files sold on the site are true to the
format they are listed as on the site. All 24bit is tested to have true
24 ACTIVE bits so 16 bit upsamples can be identified. We also test to
make sure the freq extends to 1/2 the sampling frequency nyquist in
order to identify they are not coming from lower resolution recordings
(96khz will extend to 48khz nyquist)."

Please review the attached graphic.

The first picture is of the description of the tracks in the 2017
sampler. I downloaded it on the *last* day of the year 2017, so it has
probably been downloaded thousands of times and its sound quality as
perceived by its clients has convinced those thousands of audiophiles
that it is as described above.

Or, why else did they sign up and pay good money download tracks from
it?

The second picture is a FFT of the first track (Track 1)  in the
sampler. It is rather obviously slavishly upsampled from a 44 KHz file.

The second file in the sampler is not pictured because despite being
identified as a 24/96 FLAC, it is in fact a 44 KHz FLAC.

The last FFT is a typical expanded view of that second file. Please note
the rather obvious clipping.

Now, just for grins look at this page and view the faces of the people
who have brought this collection of files  to you:
https://www.hdtracks.com/about-us

BTW this is by no means the extent of exceptional findings about this
file collection.  Check it out

|Filename: HDTracks Sampler 2017.jpg                                |
|Download: http://forums.slimdevices.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24290|