MnyB hit the nail on the head, and in summary there are a lot of
intricacies that impact the quality besides format.

I've not tried Tidal, but I do have all my local music in FLAC and run
Spotty at it's highest settings.  I generally don't tell a difference
between the two other than volume (thanks for the tip on the setting for
streaming as I didn't know there was one there).  On the rare occasions
I do hear differences, I can usually attribute it to different source
(remasters, original cd releases, bit-rate and frequency, etc).
Stepping back a bit, though, I mostly like Spotty because of its
library, and in most casual listening environments, I can try before I
buy, which has saved me money in the long run and allowed me to
entertain my need for the ultimate versions of albums.