>>> mkdir d1 d2 home; touch home/f1
>>> sudo mount -t aufs -o br=d1:home none d2
>>>
>>> everything is fine now, until:
>>> rm d2/f1
>>> -->  I get: not possible, operation not permitted (freely translated from
>>> German)
> I'd suggest you to check the parent dir's permission bits on every
> branch.
> $ ls -ld d1 home d2
Thank you for your reply!
just to sum up again: as user fred2, I did:  mkdir d1 d2 home; touch home/f1
as root, I did:  mount -t aufs -o br=d1:home none d2
root@it1-pc40:$ find d1 d2 home -printf "%h/%f %M %u %g\n"
./d1 drwxr-xr-x fred2 users
d1/.wh..wh.plnk drwx------ root root
d1/.wh..wh.aufs -r--r--r-- root root
d1/.wh..wh.orph drwx------ root root
./d2 drwxr-xr-x fred2 users
d2/f1 -rw-r--r-- fred2 users
./home drwxr-xr-x fred2 users
home/f1 -rw-r--r-- fred2 users

rm d2/f1 --> leads to "operation not permitted"
You are right about the permissions: if i do
sudo chown -R fred2:users d1
everything works fine, i.e.
rm d2/f1 (executed as fred) removes d2/f1, and after an umount, it d2/f1
is there again.

What i really need is: user fred2 works on directory d2, where he sees
the files from home. He can edit/delete/create any file on d2, but
cannot do anything to home. After an unmount, home is untouched as it
was before.
Disadvantage of sudo chown -R fred2:users d1 as described above is, that
- fred2 can delete/change files from home
- fred2 can delete/change files from d1

Kernel is 3.2.0-45-generic-pae from ubuntu 12.04 standard installation,
the dirs are on ext4. Aufs Version is  version 3.x-rcN-20111205.

I appreciate your help, thanks a lot!