I think I know why you were unable to recreate the problem.  It appears to
   only occur in attempt the test case from a directory contained within the
   aufs mount point, and not the base of the mount itself.  In fact, if the
   directory you are in exists in all branches, the problem does not occur.  I
   have  verified  that  this  problem does not occur when the underlying
   filesystes are all ext4, but it does occur when they are all btrfs.
   So to reproduce the problem, I do this:
   mount -t aufs -o br:/mnt/vol0=rw:/mnt/vol1=rw /z
   mkdir -p /z/foo/bar/baz
   cd /z/foo
   rm -rf bar
   ls
   The ls results in 'ls: cannot open directory .: Stale file handle'
   This is using a fresh install of Ubuntu 14.10 in a VM.
   I can try building a new aufs module, but I will need some directions to get
   that started.
   If it would be helpful, I can figure out have to give you ssh access to this
   VM if you want to provide me with an SSH public to add.

   On Mon, Feb 2, 2015 at 7:57 AM, <[1]sf...@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:

     Michael Johnson - MJ:
     > I will see if I can reproduce in a vm and generate very specific
     > instructions to reproduce.  I think I will have time to do this later
     today.
     Thank you very much.
     Other testers are also welcome.
     The first debug patch I will ask will be the one in
     [2]http://www.mail-archive.com/aufs-users@lists.sourceforge.net/msg04991.h
     tml
     J. R. Okajima

   --