Hello,

>> What I do not understand here, is why the NFS server does not allow the
operation, though it does if the directory is exported read-write (I
tested that).

> Exported with rw,no_root_squash? And root user on NFS client could not
create a file? Hmm, that is strange. I will check in a few days.

Probably I did not describe detailed enough. Root can create a file in a
directory where he does not have 'official' write permissions if the NFS
server exports read-write and the client does not use aufs. Root cannot
create in such a directory if the NFS server exports read-only and the
client uses aufs.

Now, I found another strange thing with aufs:

root@nfs_client:/var/lib/nfs# ls -al
total 12
drwxr-xr-x  4 systemd-network nogroup   60 Mar 26 09:45 .
drwxr-xr-x 32 root            root     120 Mar 26 09:36 ..
drwxr-xr-x  2 statd           nogroup 4096 Feb 28  2009 sm
drwxr-xr-x  2 statd           nogroup 4096 Feb 28  2009 sm.bak
-rw-r--r--  1 root            root       5 Mar 26 09:36 state
root@nfs_client:/var/lib/nfs# touch file
touch: cannot touch 'file': Operation not supported
root@nfs_client:/var/lib/nfs# echo >> state
root@nfs_client:/var/lib/nfs# touch file
root@nfs_client:/var/lib/nfs# ls -al
root@tombom:/var/lib/nfs# ls -al
total 12
drwxr-xr-x  4 systemd-network nogroup   80 Mar 26 09:47 .
drwxr-xr-x 32 root            root     120 Mar 26 09:36 ..
-rw-r--r--  1 root            root       0 Mar 26 09:47 file
drwxr-xr-x  2 statd           nogroup 4096 Feb 28  2009 sm
drwxr-xr-x  2 statd           nogroup 4096 Feb 28  2009 sm.bak
-rw-r--r--  1 root            root       5 Mar 26 09:36 state

That is, after writing something to an already existing file, the
'Operation not supported' problem suddenly disappears.

Regards
  Christoph