On 08/23/2016 11:59 AM, Doug Newgard wrote:
> How about the Pacman/makepkg developers?
> https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/38160

I was unaware of that bugreport. But having read it, it seems to me that
the problem there is when you cannot have a package both installed and
uninstalled, and the two versions of the package have no way of
specifying to NOT use a feature that has the necessary makedepends
installed.

Which means the feature request was more like asking for Gentoo USE flags.

And that package would have trouble anyway, if you try to build the -nox
package outside a clean chroot.

Even the requested solution wouldn't have actually solved anything...

> So the minority opinion is automatically wrong now? The devs I've talked to
> will admit it's a hack, it just doesn't matter much in the repos so they think
> it's worth it. The AUR is different. I was just going to let this topic go
> until you started going after someone who was doing things right, even though
> it's slightly more work for them.

The minority opinion is not automatically wrong. But it may be wrong,
and in my opinion, in this case it *is* wrong.

However, I haven't really talked to people about it, I am basing my
opinions just off what I've seen... so maybe it is a hack the devs don't
like but have no better solution for, I wouldn't know. :o

Though if there isn't a better solution available, I would say that
still makes it something you should do. ;)

--
Eli Schwartz