On 2019-03-06 01:24, James Knight via aur-general wrote:
Hello -- new user to AUR and hoping if anyone is willing to review a
PKGBUILD [1] definition for me. I have been reading PKGBUILD [2] and
"AUR - Submitting packages" [3] documents, which the latter document
suggests to "... submit the PKGBUILD to the AUR mailing list ... for
public review before adding it to the AUR".

Hello, and welcome!

Great job doing your research. You've already gone above and beyond with the above.

pkgname=releng-tool
pkgver=0.1

I don't see any releases on the upstream github. Where'd you get this 0.1?

pkgrel=1
pkgdesc='tool to assist in the release engineering of a project'

Capitalize the T!

url='https://releng.io/'
arch=('any')
license=('BSD')

I don't see this license in the project. It needs to be in the project, and if it is indeed BSD licensed you need to copy the license to "$pkgdir/usr/share/licenses/$pkgname/" [1]

makedepends=(
   'python'
)

You're using python-setuptools, so you'll want to set that in makedepends instead of python.

source=("$pkgname-$pkgver::git+https://github.com/releng-tool/releng-tool.git#tag=v$pkgver";)

I see that you're the maintainer of upstream; Why not create a release on Github and then download the tarball here? Typically, pulling sources via git is for '-git' packages.

sha512sums=('SKIP')

Having a tarball release will mean that you can have checksum verification as well.

[...]

package() {
 depends=('python')

The depends() should just go to the top alongside makedepends for this package. You probably saw this in the examples for the python packaging standards, but this is typically used for a 'split package', i.e. using one PKGBUILD to build versions for both python2 and python3. Since you're only building for python 3 depends() should go to the top.

 cd "$pkgname-$pkgver"
 python setup.py install --root="$pkgdir" --optimize=1

Go ahead and add a --skip-build here since you already built earlier.

[...]

 install -dm 755 "$pkgdir/usr/share/bash-completion/completions"
install -m644 scripts/releng-tool-completion "$pkgdir/usr/share/bash-completion/completions/releng-tool"

No need to create the directory beforehand; This can be shortened into:

   install -Dm644 scripts/releng-tool-completion
"$pkgdir/usr/share/bash-completion/completions/releng-tool"

Check out the 'namcap' package in [extra] if you haven't already. It's certainly a fallible tool but it can help with maintenance quality.

Also, check out the Python packaging guidelines:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Python_package_guidelines#setuptools

[1] https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PKGBUILD#license