FWIW, great to have this in community. Not so great that a deletion request is
the first thing that informs me about this and even less so to have somebody
else run off with the work that I put into figuring out how to make this piece
of software install correctly and only add a few mostly cosmetic changes for
good measure, without even a mention. The process isn’t just './configure;
make; make install'; at least for me it took a while to figure everything out,
and I’m not exactly a newbie to all the crazy stuff that OCaml people tend to
use in their build infrastructure.
While I’m at it, I wonder what the purpose is behind not depending on OCaml for
a tool aimed at building OCaml software. Secondly, OPAM is run automatically on
most invocations of dune to my knowledge, so I believe depending on it is
somewhat reasonable. And lastly, the sources of dune happen to mention in plain
English that dune can make use of ocamlfind as an optional runtime
dependency[1]. So much for my reasoning on the dependencies, I would have been
happy to explain this earlier if someone had let me.
Forgive me if I’m a little upset, but when the new community package even goes
out of it’s way to provide compatibility with the versioning scheme I used on
the jbuilder package before it was renamed to dune, I just don’t understand why
not even a little heads-up à la “BTW this package is now in community” was
possible. Personally, I even left a contributor line saying “Your Name
<yourem...@domain.com>” untouched in one of the packages I adopted, just to let
people know that I’m not the only person who ever invested time in that package
(namely ocp-build).

tl;dr I know that in written form my thoughts tend to come off as being more
furious than I actually am, and while I do in fact not like what I believe went
on, what I really want you, Bruno, to take away from this is just „Please be a
little more communicative in the future” :)

Have a nice day
Jakob Gahde aka J5lx

[1] https://github.com/ocaml/dune/blob/1.0%2Bbeta17/jbuilder.opam#L17-L22