A conversation that has never been formally had within the sport is the ‘value’
of an Australian registration.
>From my end, that registration held by an elderly airframe has meant that from
>1949 onward it has been possible to trace the provenance (a la ‘Who do you
>think you are’) until the late 1970s when we ran out of VH-G.. and began to
>use a variety of intermediate prefixes.

For me it is sad to see an airframe returned to service after a hiatus, needing
a new registration, thereby losing the continuity.
Others will pipe in for themselves, about the preference to have a VH-G..
reallocated ahead of a new intermediate prefix.
And those who favour monikers ahead of VH-… as their call sign, recognition,
etc.

Emilis