There is an online system that seems quite flexible - I've recently started
to use it for a volunteer group I am involved in.

www.signupgenius.com

The functionality in the free version is pretty good - you can certainly
use most of it - some reporting options are not available until you stump
up the cash, and there is a limit to the number of emails you can send each
month.

hope this helps...

Thanks & Regards,

Nelson Handcock