Gidday All.

Had a bit of a rethink about what I wrote yesterday and to put things in a
more accurate chain.

The Kangaroo design was not brought to Australia with the Schneiders.

It came into existence as a result of John Wotherspoon, who also provided
the Schneiders with their original workshop at Rosewater S.A., asking them
to build him a high performance two seater. Apart from some work building
Grunaus and assembling part finished kits this was the first sailplane
designed and built in Australia by Schneiders.

John's support for Australian gliding in the late forties and early fifties
was considerable.  He flew Swordfish off carriers during WW11 and brought,
on his return to Aus in the late forties, a Leopard Moth and Olympia. The
Olympia first flew here from Black Top Hill (the ETSA power distribution
station above the S/E extremity of Elizabeth). Knowing John pretty well, I
think the Kangaroo came into being not so much as a result of his need for
a high performance two seater but rather to demonstrate to Aus gliding in
general the credibility of the Schneiders and the huge resource suddenly
available to progress gliding in this country in the future.

Prior to leaving Germany Edmund Schneider Snr had designed the ES49. This
was the aircraft we know in Australia as the ES49b and was aimed at home
constructors. Schleichers built a number of this type under licence to ES.

The Kangaroo was a new type. Its wing span was more than 2m greater than
the ES49 and it had a larger tailplane, fin and rudder. Other differences
are noted in my earlier post. It also incorporated a shoulder release
system. This type of towline release was used by Schneiders up to and
including the Kookaburra prototype.

As mentioned earlier, the prototype flew out of Gawler and Parafield for a
relatively short period until an offer to purchase it from a farmer at
Boggabri was accepted by John.

A second Kangaroo was ordered by the Towoomba Gliding club. At that time
they were up amongst the leading soaring exponents in australia, spurred on
primarity by Dr Mervyn Hall.

Sometime after the delivery of the Kangaroo it seems the impetus of the
Towoomba club faltered - I think after the death of Doc. Hall. At Mount Isa
the Leichardt Club formed and immediately ordered a Kookaburra.  At about
the same time the Towoomba club offered both their GB11 and Kangaroo to
Leichardt at a reasonable price and in a short space of time they had one
of the best fleets in Australia. From recall Niall Hart was a key player.

The ES50 was designed and built to GFA specs while the second Kangaroo was
being built.  Schneiders in the meantime built the Kookaburra prototype as
the glider they thought Australia needed. The rest is history.

Meanwhile, the ASC under the leadership of Ron Adair, decided to build an
ES49 to replace their Munn Falcon. In fact,at the time, they manufactured
two of everything that required jigging for the ES49.

The first ASC ES49 (ES49 1) was such a success that construction of the
second  (ES49 11) was completed as quickly as possible by utilising the
skills of Hans Zechner full time.

Because the Kangaroo had already been certified as the ES49 both of the ASC
aircraft were designated and certified as ES49b's.

The only noticeable diference between these two aircraft - from recall
VH-GDK and VH-GLL was the canopy. ES49b-1 had its canopy changed from the
single
lift-off unit manufactured from 1/4" steele tube and covered in 1/16"
perspex to a two piece canopy blown by Harry Schneider similar to that
later used on  the K7.  ES49b-11 utilized the rear of a P51 Mustang canop
for the forward canopy which resulted in somewhat sleeker lines. Handling
was noticeably different due to ES49b-11 being heavier than the original
but variance in performance between the two was always a constant
discussion point around the bar. No variance in performance was ever proven.

Sometime after the ASC ES49b's flew another ES49 was constructed, in
keeping with the original design, by Eric Hader and Klaus Leuffer at
Khancoban -so it varied considerably from the ASC aircraft.

Finally. it would not be out of order to say the ASC ES49b's - mainly due
to their use at early NGS' - played one of the most significant roles of
all aircraft in advancing soaring in Australia.

Noel.