From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]On Behalf Of Mark Fisher
Sent: Wednesday, 25 June 2003 9:13 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [aus-soaring] + BOLD STATEMENTS

Hi All,
The following statement bears some level headed consideration.

The fact is most gliding clubs own all their non flying assets apart from
the airfield and they were paid off in the 60s and 70s a fact always ignored
by those who write trite analysies on how expensive Passenger flights  and
aircraft hire should be.

I think I read in an earlier post the fact that the cost isn't driving people from our sport, and this was justified by the fact that "our ski fields would be going broke " if this was a factor  ????

There are two attractions for Skiing................snow and equipment. You have all seen the yearly birth and death  of Ski shops selling all things "Snow" to a public that doesn't need them. People love shiny new gear.

For a club to sit back with its 30 and 40 y.o aircraft and expect to attract new members that CAN afford to fly is a fruitless exercise.

Kingaroy have proven this with their Duo Discus, with club membership increasing significantly AFTER the Duo was purchased.

Could it be that people appreciate the latest technologies, and this makes a club more attractive ???  I think so!!
Put two clubs on one airfield.
ClubA with a tidy Hornet and  an ASK21, and clubB with a Blanik and a K6.
Even with price of flying at 30-50% cheaper ClubB, which one would you join ?

In regard to the comment about regulating the cost of AEF's, I must say I disagree.
In my limited experience, very few people who actually arrive at the field for an AEF leave without having a flight due to cost.  People expect to pay $100 or so for an AEF.

On the other hand , almost all AEF's do is prolong the dying process of many of our clubs as our coffers are on drip feed to keep the bills paid.
I know we see far less than 1% of AEF flights being converted to Full Membership, and this is with people in our club doing a great job at welcome prospective members and make them feel relaxed and involved.

The days of the clapped out land-rover, and dilapidated  pie cart are gone. If you have either of these you are sending the public the wrong message.  Agreed it is not an easy task to keep a fleet and equipment upgraded, but it must be done.

Many people buy a new car every few years, keep their home looking good, replace their golf clubs regularly , buy new clothes,  upgrade to a new Flatscreen TV, etc etc.  Not because they have to, but because they LIKE to.

Of course, many of you are thinking "Our club can't afford to upgrade the fleet". You are probably correct. Perhaps your members can ?

Cheers

Mark

(Flame-suit On)

Incidentally I am strongly of the opinion all GFA sanctioned gliding clubs
should be required to provide passenger flights to the public at reasonable,
if neccassary regulated cost to not do so is an abrigation of responsibilty
to promote our dying sport.

Mark Fisher
School of Exercise Science and Sport Management
Southern Cross University
Lismore, NSW, 2480
Australia
Ph: +61 2 66203655