Good stuff Mike.  I expect the lobbying to get stronger against the change,
and I have similarly written to the local newspaper in support of the
change.  I suggest others do also, as the anti lobby needs to be balanced.

I note a few nay sayers within GFA. To them I would say this change has
taken years and any tuning around the edges will take  even more.  Lets take
this step, then fine tune it later.

The words or my letter to the editor were

In the next few days expect considerable lobbying against new airspace
arrangements that should begin on 27 NOV.  Airline pilots and air traffic
controllers will be threatening airline passengers with increased risk and
wanting more money spent on 'safety'.  [Or the existing levels to continue
as change is resisted.]

Instrument flying aircraft will now have to look out marginally more and
consider other aircraft.  For years air traffic controllers have been
responsible for separation of many aircraft, and that requires expensive
radars on the ground, or sophisticated equipment fitted to all flying
objects.  In NZ the government gave equipment to all aircraft rather than to
provide more ground radars.

The change is marginal.  Flying into Sydney, Melbourne of Canberra Cooma,
Moruya or Wagga remains fundamentally unchanged.  However, pilots flying
into Albury will have to increase their look out.

Before taking sides in the argument, I suggest readers and reporters look to
the sky and count aircraft seen.  Then make a pragmatic assessment of the
likelihood of accident.  Around Sydney several aircraft may be sighted, but
these are tightly controlled.  At regional airports they will seldom see an
aircraft and, pragmatically, the risk of collision is miniscule.

Oh, while outside, count the cars passing within meters.  The risks while
driving to the airport remain.

Remember also pilots still have to see and avoid pelicans, ibis and other
flying objects.

On balance, I for one want to adopt the new airspace arrangements.

Alan Wilson
Canberra Gliding Club