Nothing like gliding (even when the engine fails)

Alan

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Michael
Texler
Sent: Thursday, 23 September 2004 1:17 PM
To: Discussion of issues relating to Soaring in Australia.
Subject: [Aus-soaring] Spinning Cessna's C172

I had a quiet chuckle reading Cathy's story regarding spinning Cessna's.

When I did my initial PPL training, I asked my instructor about spinning the
C172. No problem, he said.

Out we went to the Parafield training area, climbed to 4,000' AMSL and spun
the sucker (you really had to abuse the aircraft to get it to go in!). One
turn lost about 1,000'! Recovery was prompt.

For those who knew Des O'Driscoll; my instructor was a legend (and mentor)
and started his flying days in Tiger Moths. He had some great practical
knowledge with regards to flying in the bush. It was a great loss to power
aviation in SA was he passed away suddenly in 1999.

Not quite gliding (except when the engine fails)

M.T.