Instrument panel considerations

Put the ASI top left where it ought to be in a "six pack".

We aren't trying to maintain a level in gliders so the altimeter can go pretty much anywhere convenient. If you are happy to put it top right because of past experience that's fine if it doesn't replace something more important. Most glide computers nowadays don't require you to know the pressure altitude so the pressure altimeter is just for airspace compliance.

Put the main vario display next to the ASI and the backup next to that or under one of them. Nowadays there's no point in a main vario that doesn't have the advantages of netto or relative in cruise and things like averagers and speed command displays and advanced audio.(B800)
This puts all that glider and air performance stuff in one area.

I'd put the dedicated FLARM display in the top right next to the ASI. It should be a dedicated display as the aim is to get you to LOOK for the traffic, not track it on an in cockpit display. You may then have a chance of seeing the traffic that isn't Flarm equipped or even the eagles or the wisp of cloud forming etc.

You might want to put the PNA or glide computer on the left where you can reach it easier with your left hand. As you'd have all the vario related information as above, the PNA can be dedicated to navigation (including airspace), wind and glide information. I wish the writers of the software for these would tell me how a single seat glider pilot can find the time to use the ridiculous intricate features they put in and still maintain a good lookout. Whatever you do don't block the forward and down view either side on the panel with add-on PDAs/PNAs. Be aware that AAT tasks and optional multiple start points cause far more interaction with the instrument.

There's no need for pneumatic varios in the 21st Century. Flasks for these are difficult to install and unless you split the TE line back as far as possible towards the probe WILL interfere with the performance of any electronic varios (or other pneumatic ones) whether flask or pressure transducer type. As there isn't much flow in the line with no flask the pressure transducer varios are less sensitive to partial blockages in lines although under certain circumstances these can still cause problems. You can connect two pressure transducer varios together right at the panel. Don't use very flexible lines(silicon) for the TE line or pitot /static if you are trying to do pitot/static TE. This tubing will very successfully transmit short term pressure changes. Similarly don't let lines flop around. The volume can change and cause short term transient pressure changes. Both will cause odd transient readings on the vario.

You have a lot of electronic equipment in the glider. The capabilities are severely degraded if the electronics quits. Treat the batteries and wiring as vital systems. Use aircrat wire not cheap junk from SuperCrap auto. Use two adequately sized batteries and run them separately so when one dies the other can power everything for the rest of the planned flight. If you habitually fly long flights this can require some thought and testing. Do you know what load you are running continuously? Modern standby varios since our B11 in 1979 and later the B40 and B400 can run on a small 9 volt battery or a few AA cells for hours. They will also give you much more than a simple pneumatic vario as a last ditch option. You may find that without audio or an averager you are somewhat at a loss. A B400 or the new B700 is much more useful. I gave up on pneumatic varios in 1979 when I one day turned off my electric vario to try to fly on an early Sage. I found it impossible to use so took it out and designed the B11 and have never missed a pneumatic vario.

Mike