Tim,

I didn't ask. It was a competition briefing and the CD noted that the task passed through the allowed cloud flying area and you could cloud fly there. This was at Waharoa (North island). They do have complete radar coverage and the gliders all have transponders.

Even in the UK they don't just all climb up in the cloud in a gaggle. The BGA has some rules for this including radio calls, a cloud flying frequency and some rules so that two gliders don't occupy the same cloud at anything like the same altitude.

If cloud flying is allowed in contests and you are serious as a competitor and believe it may be an advantage, I guess you'd equip the glider and acquire the skill. How many interesting skills do we want to lose or eliminate entirely? Navigation no longer has an advantage in being able to do it without GPS and being able to position the glider for turnpoint photos is gone.

Of course in legal terms, glider pilots in Australia all "cloud fly" when they fly closer than 1000 feet to cloudbase(used to be 500 feet in the old days until the ATC mob snuck this through). Likewise 1.5Km horizontally. Interesting that.

Mike